: For our open source development, I don't think the distinction makes
: sense and I'd vote for not bothering with "closed".

Doug's comment in the thread mark linked to has always made a lot of sense
to me: close when the fix/feature is included in a release.  a resolved
bug means that it's no longer a problem in the development trunk/branches
listed in "Fix For", a closed bug means it shouldn't be a problem in
released versions of those "Fix for" branches.

I thought "HowToRelease" had a post-release item to close out any issues
that were "resolved" and had a "Fix For" the current release ... but
aparetnly it does not.

(BTW: when using the "Bulk Update" feature in jira, it's really easy to do
things like "select all issues which are 'resolved' and 'Fix
For:1.4'; change them to 'closed'; dont' send an email for each")

-Hoss