On Aug 18, 2009, at 9:49 AM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

Also, I'm thinking about having a real simple interface that would allow
for, when materializing the Fields, to pass in something like a
DocumentModifier, which would basically get the document right before it is to be returned (possibly inside the SolrIndexReader, but maybe this even belongs at the Lucene level similar to the FieldSelector, although it is likely too late for 2.9.) Through this DocModifier, one could easily add
fields, etc.

Too high level for Lucene I think, and nothing is currently needed for
Lucene - a user calls doc() to get the document and then they can
modify or add fields however they want.

An interface could be useful for Solr... but getting 1.4 out the door
is top priority.

Agreed... i am wondering if pushing:
to 1.4 makes sense...

It already is marked for 1.4 and has been for a while.