Begin forwarded message:

From: Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Date: August 18, 2009 1:55:59 PM EDT
To: solr-comm...@lucene.apache.org
Subject: [Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "HowToRelease" by YonikSeeley

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Solr Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by YonikSeeley:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToRelease

The comment on the change is:
emphasise that things don't have to be done this way

+ This page is to help a Solr committer create a new release (you need committer rights for some of the steps to create an official release). It does not reflect official release policy - many of the items may be optional, or may be modified as necessary. - ''This page is prepared for Solr committers. You need committer rights
- to create a new  Solr release.''

I really don't think this is a good idea. What gets released and how it gets released should not be up to the RM. We as a community have agreed to support the artifacts we produce. One individual should not then get to undermine that b/c they don't have a particular use for some particular artifact or release step.