On Sep 15, 2009, at 8:25 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

: .map={sku.field}:{id}

the map param is for replacing a *value* with a different' value ... it's useful for things like numeric codes in CSV files that you want to replace
with strings in your index.

Darn... I shouldn't trust my memory.
From http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-284
'''drop "ext." from parameter names, and revisit naming to try and
unify with other update handlers like CSV'''

So now map.a=b in CSV is for values but map.a=b in SolrCell is for fields....
perhaps we should change map in SolrCell to fmap?

That's fine by me.  Just update the docs when you're done.

My longer range idea was to pull out some generally useful things like
field mapping, etc, such that they could be shared across update
handlers.

See also:
SOLR-1032, SOLR-1069 for related things. We should be able to refactor the field mapping code easy enough.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com