On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
> Yeah, in the end, Lucene Scorer returns a float...  However, if we allow for
> pseudo fields and other capabilities, it would be nice to have doubles.

We have doubles already...  It's just that our general purpose
functions (like sum) don't use them.
geo functions could certainly use them.

>> But for something like gdist(point_a,point_b), the internal
>> calculations can be done in double precision and if the result is cast
>> to a float at the end, it should be good enough for most uses, right?
>
> This is what I am doing for the specific case I'm working on, but I agree
> with Walter here.  As Solr starts to evolve to power apps where you want to
> do complex functions based on the results of queries, the loss of precision
> can be quite bad.

I agree with you all that eventually we want generic double precision support.
What I don't understand is if anyone thinks it's a blocker for geo, and why.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com