There are, in fact, updates to many of Solr's dependencies that we should
consider.  I like the sound of 5-10% perf. improvement in HttpClient...

-Grant

On Dec 11, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> FYI...
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
>> Date: December 11, 2009 2:20:50 PM GMT+01:00
>> To: annou...@apache.org, priv...@hc.apache.org, d...@hc.apache.org,
>> httpclient-us...@hc.apache.org
>> Subject: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.0.1 (GA) Released
>>
>> HttpClient 4.0.1 is a bug fix release that addresses a number of issues
>> discovered since the previous stable release. None of the fixed bugs is
>> considered critical. Most notably this release eliminates eliminates
>> dependency on JCIP annotations.
>>
>> This release is also expected to improve performance by 5 to 10% due to
>> elimination of unnecessary Log object lookups by short-lived components.
>>
>> -------------------
>> Download -
>> <http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi>
>>
>> Release notes -
>> <http://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES.txt>
>>
>> HttpComponents site -
>> <http://hc.apache.org/>
>>
>> Please note HttpClient 4.0 currently provides only limited support for
>> NTLM authentication. For details please refer to
>> <http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/ntlm.html>
>> -------------------
>>
>> About Apache HttpClient
>>
>> Although the java.net package provides basic functionality for accessing
>> resources via HTTP, it doesn't provide the full flexibility or
>> functionality needed by many applications. HttpClient seeks to fill this
>> void by providing an efficient, up-to-date, and feature-rich package
>> implementing the client side of the most recent HTTP standards and
>> recommendations.
>>
>> Designed for extension while providing robust support for the base HTTP
>> protocol, HttpClient may be of interest to anyone building HTTP-aware
>> client applications such as web browsers, web service clients, or
>> systems that leverage or extend the HTTP protocol for distributed
>> communication.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem (Lucene/Solr/Nutch/Mahout/Tika/Droids) using
Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search