On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM,  <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
> +  public static final double KM_TO_MILES = 0.621371192;
> +  public static final double MILES_TO_KM = 1.609344;

I don't care if these exist, but what are your plans for actually using them?

For spatial search, it seems like we should simply standardize on
something, probably either meters or kilometers and be done with it.
It's trivial for clients to convert (and clients aren't end-users),
and will reduce confusion about how to specify units, etc.

Likewise for points/locations - they should simply be lat,lon in
degrees.  No need to specify if it's in radians or degrees when
degrees is more of an external standard and it's as simple for a
client to convert as it is to specify.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com