It's not up to Lucene and Solr, as it is an Apache Infrastructure thing.  It is
also unclear as to provenance w/ GIT.  So, even for all of GITs benefits, it's
a non-starter at this point Foundation wise, so no need for a flamewar at all.

For the record, yes, I deal with dozens of patches at a time through SVN, and I
suspect most other committers do too.