On 9/21/06, Otis Gospodnetic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have a situation where I want certain documents to appear at the top of the
hit list for certain searches, regardless of their score.  One can think of it
as the ads right on top of Google's search results (but I'm not dealing with

You could make anything with an isSpecial boolean field appear first:
search_field:java; score desc, special desc

The "special" field could even be an int field so you could control
the order that the special docs appeared.

You could also do something with boosting:
+(search_terms:java) special:true^100

If you have special search terms you want to associate with a doc, you
can have another field for that and boost it highly... that would give
you a measure of relevancy among "special" documents:

normal_search_field:java  special_search_field:java^100

Is this a good candidate for a custom RequestHandler?

Hopefully all the tools are already there to do this w/o extra code.

-Yonik