Excellent news; as you guessed, my schema was (for some reason) set to version 1.0. This also caused some of the problems I had with the original SolrPHP (parsing the wrong response).

But better yet, the 800 seconds query is now running in 0.5-2 seconds! Amazing optimization! I can now do faceting on journal title (17 000 different titles) and last author (>400 000 authors), + 12 date range queries, in a very reasonable time (considering im on a test windows desktop box and not a server).

The only problem is if I add first author, I get a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space. I'm sure this problem will get away on a server with more than the current 500 megs I can allocate to Tomcat.

Michael Imbeault
CHUL Research Center (CHUQ)
2705 boul. Laurier
Ste-Foy, QC, Canada, G1V 4G2
Tel: (418) 654-2705, Fax: (418) 654-2212