Hmmm, on most Linux/UNIX systems, sending the QUIT signal does nothing
else but generate a stack trace to the console or a log file.  If you
don't start tomcat by hand, the stack trace may go somewhere else I
suppose.  This would be useful to learn how to do on your particular
system (and we should add it to a debugging/troubleshooting wiki too).

Okay, I figured out how to get the thread dump. It was in the tomcat
logfile. I'm attaching it here.

Are you load-balancing at all, or is this your only search server?
FYI, I'm looking into something that will help.

I'm load balancing two solr servers.

thanks,
Kevin