Yonik Seeley wrote:

> Are you using the synonyms at index time, query time, or both?
> Did you reindex if you made changes to an "index" analyzer?
> It would help if you post the fieldtype for the field you are searching.

I am using the synonyms only at query time.
Below is the field analysis.
It seems like the culpit is the space in the phrase "best buy" in
synonyms.txt.
what should I do about it? put quotes around it?

BTW, the default operator is "AND":
solrQueryParser defaultOperator="AND"

Index Analyzer
org.apache.solr.analysis.WhitespaceTokenizerFactory   {}

term position
1

term text
bb

term type
word

source start,end
0,2

org.apache.solr.analysis.StopFilterFactory   {words=stopwords.txt,
ignoreCase=true}

term position
1

term text
bb

term type
word

source start,end
0,2

org.apache.solr.analysis.WordDelimiterFilterFactory   {catenateWords=1,
catenateNumbers=1, catenateAll=0, generateNumberParts=1,
generateWordParts=1}

term position
1

term text
bb

term type
word

source start,end
0,2

org.apache.solr.analysis.LowerCaseFilterFactory   {}

term position
1

term text
bb

term type
word

source start,end
0,2

org.apache.solr.analysis.EnglishPorterFilterFactory
{protected=protwords.txt}

term position
1

term text
bb

term type
word

source start,end
0,2

org.apache.solr.analysis.RemoveDuplicatesTokenFilterFactory   {}

term position
1

term text
bb

term type
word

source start,end
0,2

Query Analyzer
org.apache.solr.analysis.WhitespaceTokenizerFactory   {}

term position
1

term text
bb

term type
word

source start,end
0,2

org.apache.solr.analysis.SynonymFilterFactory   {expand=true,
ignoreCase=true, synonyms=synonyms.txt}

term position
1       2

term text
bestbuy buy

bb

best

term type
word    word

word

word

source start,end
0,2     0,2

0,2

0,2

org.apache.solr.analysis.StopFilterFactory   {words=stopwords.txt,
ignoreCase=true}

term position
1       2

term text
bestbuy buy

bb

best

term type
word    word

word

word

source start,end
0,2     0,2

0,2

0,2

org.apache.solr.analysis.WordDelimiterFilterFactory   {catenateWords=0,
catenateNumbers=0, catenateAll=0, generateNumberParts=1,