Erik Hatcher wrote:
Cygwin needs curl installed. It should be fairly easy to select that and have it installed. It's been a while since I've used cygwin, but I do recall a list of packages to install.
I would just note that, while the examples as designed around Cygwin, it is by no means a dependency for running SOLR.

Curl is available as a binary for Win32, in its latest release, and runs from an ordinary command window. The implication is that you can also build batch files that mimic the functionality of the .sh files in the examples.

The following would need to be adjusted for the host name and port, and the name of the instance of solr, but they will run from the command prompt in the directory where curl is installed.

curl http://localhost/solr/update --data-binary @test.xml
curl http://localhost/solr/update --data-binary "<commit />"
curl http://localhost/solr/update --data-binary "<optimize />"

Tomcat or apache/tomcat on Windows 2003 is a perfectly adequate servlet container for solr. For that matter, SirsiDynix's Horizon runs Jetty over Windows 2003 in many of their production environments, it's just a bear to configure as a service.
Walter Lewis