Yonik Seeley wrote:
On 3/3/07, Dimitar Ouzounov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But what hardware problem could it be? Tomorrow I'll make sure that the
memory is fine, but nothing
else comes to my mind.

Memory, motherboard, etc.
Try http://www.memtest86.com/ to test this.

It may be OS-related - probably a buggy version of
some library. But which library?

Yep, we've seen that in the past.
I'd recommend going with OS versions that vendors test with.
The commercial RHEL or the free clone of it http://www.centos.org/,
would be my recommendation.

I'm running a lot of CentOS 4.4 myself, on i686 and x86_64 processors. I'm testing out Solr on an i686 with JDK 1.5 and I'm running a production copy of Nutch on x86_64 JDK 1.5, Tomcat 1.5. It's been rock solid.

From trying to install Java in the past on FC5, I read a lot about how you had to be rather careful to make absolutely certain that you had no conflicting gjc libs in your path. If this is a production box, I'd got with a longer-supported OS than FC6. If the server is only for searching and apache, I don't think FC6 will give you any noticeable performance boost over CentOS 4.4. FC6's performance enhancements with glibc-hash-binding won't affect a JVM.

Jed