On 3/14/07, Maximilian Hütter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It is the default heap size for the Sun JVM, so I guess 64MB max. The
documents are rather large, but if you manage to index 100,000 docs,
there seems to be some problem with Solr.

The documents are not held in memory until a commit occurs (just some
tracking info), so I'm not sure that that is the appropriate
conclusion.  Lucene keeps a few documents in memory
(maxBufferedDocs--you could lower this setting), and if your documents
are large, this could use a higher maximum amount of memory than in my
case.  Solr does keep all uniqueIds in memory until commit.

What would be the recommended heap size for Solr?

That is difficult to answer, since it depends on so many factors.  64
megs seems on the rather low end.  Remember that you aren't just
trying to avoid OOM errors--more memory means bigger caches and
increased query performance.

-Mike