On 3/22/07, Kevin Osborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Here is an issue that I am trying to resolve. We have a large catalog of
documents, but our customers (several hundred) can only see a subset of those
documents. And the subsets vary in size greatly. And some of these customers
will be creating a lot of traffic. Also, there is no way to map the subsets to
a query. The customer either has access to a document or they don't.

Has anybody worked on this issue before? If I use one large index and do the
filtering in my application, then Solr will be serving a lot of useless
documents. The counts would also be screwed up for facet queries. Is the best
solution to extend Solr and do the filtering there?

The other potential solution is to have one index per customer. This would
require one instance of the servlet per index, correct? It just seems like this
would require a lot of hardware and complexity (configuring the memory of each
servlet instance to index size and traffic).

Why not create a multivalued field that stores the customer perms?
add has_access:cust1 has_access:cust2, etc to the document at index
time, and turn this into a filter query at query time?

-Mike