On 3/27/07, Kevin Osborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I know there are a bunch of variables here (RAM, number of fields, hits, etc.),
but I am trying to get a sense of how big of an index in terms of number of
documents Solr can reasonable handle. I have heard indexes of 3-4 million
documents running fine. But, I have no idea what a reasonable upper limit might
be.

People have constructed (lucene) indices with over a billion
documents.  But if "reasonable" means something like "<1s query time
for a medium-complexity query on non-astronomical hardware", I
wouldn't go much higher than the figure you quote.

I have a large number of documents and about 200-300 customers would have
access to varying subsets of those documents. So, one possible strategy is to
have everything in a large index, but duplicate the documents for each customer
that has access to that document. But, that would really make the total number
of documents huge. So, I am trying to get a sense of how big is too big. Each
document will probably have about 30 fields. Most of them will be strings, but
there will be some text, ints,a nd floats.

If you are going to store a document for each customer then some field
must indicate to which customer the document instance belongs.  In
that case, why not index a single copy of each document, with a field
containing a list of customers having access?

-Mike