Chris,
   Earlier I was trying to modify the Similarity computation to make it
field dependent (we are trying to change tf based on the field). Now, I have
reverted the custom computation so that the default Similarity is used. Fro
testing, I boosted a single field in one doc.

<doc boost="1.33">
<field name="show_all_flag" boost="2.0">Y</field>
</doc>

This is what I see in the explain -
2.5 = (MATCH) sum of:
  2.5 = (MATCH) fieldWeight(show_all_flag:Y in 17), product of:
    1.0 = tf(termFreq(show_all_flag:Y)=1)
    1.0 = idf(docFreq=36239)
    2.5 = fieldNorm(field=show_all_flag, doc=17)

Again, I fail to understand where it is doing a multiplication by 1.25
(score (2.5) = field_boost (2.0) * 1.25 ??).

Thanks.