Solr's web.xml has a servlet-mapping which maps url-pattern "/update/*" to
the SolrUpdateServlet.  You can set up a <security-constraint> on that to
protect against inadvertent updates.

Bill

On 3/28/07, Jeff Rodenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'm curious what mechanisms everyone is using to control read/write access
for distributed replicated indexes.  We're moving to a replication
environment very soon, and our client applications (quite a few) all have
configuration pointers to the URLs for solr instances.  As a precaution, I
don't want errant configuration values to inadvertently send write
requests
to read servers, as an example.  As an aside, we're running solr under
tomcat 5.5.x which has its own control aspects as well.

Any best practices, i.e. something that's not a maintenance headache
later,
from those who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
j.r.