You can get at some of this functionality in the built-in xslt 1.0
engine (Xalan) by using the e-xslt date-time extensions: see
http://exslt.org/date/index.html, and for Xalan's implementation see
http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensionslib.html#exslt .

The exslt stuff looks good, thanks! I'll have to try it out. That's only one direction though, still want parsing of unix timestamp-like formats into the indexer on doc adds and updates.

Just FYi the license for the exslt stuff seems OK w/ the APL: http:// lists.fourthought.com/pipermail/exslt-manage/2004-June/000603.html So if it works out we might want to put the date/time xsl stuff in the solr distribution in lieu of shipping with a XSL 2.0 processor.

Those are interesting ideas and it probably would not be difficult to
create a patch if you were interested, but I'm curious:  What about
XSL makes what seems to me an elementary string-processing task so
difficult?

Well, XSL 1.0 (which is the one that "comes for free" with Solr/java)
doesn't handle dates and times at all. XSL 2.0 handles it well enough,
but it's only supported through a GPL jar, which we can't distribute.

It's more than string processing, anyway. I would want to convert the
Solr Time 2007-03-15T00:41:5:2Z to "March 15th, 2007" in a web app.
I'd also like to say 'Posted 3 days ago." In my vision of things, that
work is done on Solr's side. (The former case with a strftime type
formatter in solrconfig, the latter by having strftime return the day
number this year.)

--
http://variogr.am/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]