I've needed similar logged information recently and I looked at the code
and had a few questions:

Why does SolrCore.setResponseHeaderValues(...) set the QTime (and other
response header options) instead of having it as a function of
RequestHandlerBase?  If things were tracked in the RequestHandlers you
could add timing information there: avg query time, etc.  I know some
people have argued that you can do that with logs but being able to pull
that info live via JMX/stats.jsp would make monitoring much cleaner in
environments with multiple machines on different networks.  If things
are tracked in the handlers then people can add more statistics easily
to both query response headers and overall via custom handlers.

I'm happy to make the changes and supply a patch to move the logic as
well as adding a few simple metrics unless enough people on this thread
really feel that it's always better to do it with log files and
postmortem math.

- will