Hi James
I think this feature is in 1.2, which is not released yet (in CVS/nightly)

From http://wiki.apache.org/solr/StandardRequestHandler
"Note, in solr1.1 the query and sort parameter were combined as a
single parameter separated with a ';' (q="name:solr; date desc").
Since solr1.2, it is recommend to use the "sort" parameter described
in CommonQueryParameters."
-Nick