I don't use the java client, but when I switched to 1.2, I'd get that
message when I forget to add the content type header, as described in
CHANGES.txt

>  9. The example solrconfig.xml maps /update to XmlUpdateRequestHandler using
    the new request dispatcher (SOLR-104).  This requires posted content to
    have a valid contentType: curl -H 'Content-type:text/xml; charset=utf-8'
    The response format matches that of /select and returns standard error
    codes.  To enable solr1.1 style /update, do not map "/update" to any
    handler in solrconfig.xml (ryan)

But your request log shows a GET, should be a POST, I would think. I'd
double check the parameters on post.jar