Add/Update, Commit/Optimize, Delete, and Delete by query, in Solr are done
using the url /update.  So should be able to protect that url at the
container level outside of Solr.  If you want you can protect the query url
/select or the admin pages too.  Container level authentication is
transparent to Solr so you should be able to protect any url you want.

Bill**