On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:53:46 -0400
"Yonik Seeley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 9/19/07, Norberto Meijome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Maybe I got this wrong...but isn't this what mapreduce is meant to deal
> > with?
>
> Not really... you could force a *lot* of different problems into
> map-reduce (that's sort of the point... being able to automatically
> parallelize a lot of different problems).  It really isn't the best
> fit though, and would end up being much slower than a custom job.

good point..i wondered whether the whole sorting/whatever wasn't going to make
it far slower than something custom. I dont care about mapreduce in particular,
but yes the effect - n indexers / searches all fulfilling their part of the
overall search results.

> Then there is the issue that the way map-reduce is implemented (like
> hadoop) is also tuned for longer running batch jobs on huge data
> (temporary files are used, external sorts, initial input, final output
> is via files, etc).

I see, didn't know this.

> Check out the google map-reduce paper - they
> don't use it for their search side either.

yeah, need to  :)

> Things are already progressing in the distributed search area:
> Hopefully I'll have time to dig into it more myself in a few weeks.

excellent , thanks
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts ... for support rather
than illumination." Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Warned.