I'm running 1.2.

Acutally, i am doing an optimize after I delete the indexes.  (twice, as I
read there was an issue with the optimize).  Do I need to close something
manually?

Here's my optimize code:

        private void optimize() throws IOException
        {
                UpdateHandler updateHandler =
SolrCore.getSolrCore().getUpdateHandler();
                CommitUpdateCommand commitcmd = new CommitUpdateCommand(false);
                commitcmd.optimize = true;
                updateHandler.commit(commitcmd);
                updateHandler.close();
        }