piete,

thanks for the quick reply.

> You need to explicitly define the field you are referring to in order to
> achieve this, otherwise the query parser will assume that the minus
> character is part of the query and interpret it as field:"-solr" (where
> "field" is the name of the default field set in your schema).  Try:
>
> curl http://localhost:8983/solr/update --data-binary
> charset=utf-8'

does this work for you?:

curl http://localhost:8983/solr/update --data-binary
'Content-type:text/xml; charset=utf-8'

curl http://localhost:8983/solr/update --data-binary '<optimize />' -H
'Content-type:text/xml; charset=utf-8'

then,
http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=-name:solr&version=2.2&start=0&rows=10&indent=on

i still get all of those documents returned....

> parser will assume that the minus
> character is part of the query and interpret it as field:"-solr" (where
> "field" is the name of the default field set in your schema)

my true use case is to deleteByQuery against my default field, but
even in this case, with the field specified, and using the
exampledocs, i'm not seeing the document get deleted.

thanks again...maybe i should just grab a beer, and go to bed...cheers :)