I certainly have seen memory problems when I just drop a new war file in
place. So now I usually stop tomcat and restart.

I used to see problems (pre-1.0) when I just redeployed repeatedly, without
even accessing the app, but I've got a little script running in the
background that has done that 50 times now, without running out of space.
Are you on a current version? I'm on 1.2

Tlom