just use the standard collection distribution stuff. That is what it is made for! http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution

Alternatively, open up two indexes using the same config/dir -- do your indexing on one and the searching on the other. when indexing is done (or finishes a big chunk) send <commit/> to the 'searching' one and it will see the new stuff.

ryan

Jae Joo wrote:
Here is my situation.

I have 6 millions articles indexed and adding about 10k articles everyday.
If I maintain only one index, whenever the daily feeding is running, it
consumes the heap area and causes FGC.
I am thinking the way to have multiple indexes - one is for ongoing querying
service and one is for update. Once update is done, switch the index by
automatically and/or my application.

Thanks,

Jae joo