Similarly, if you know that you are dealing with domain names or ip addresses (or other text with discrete parts), you can reverse the order of the parts rather than at the character level making it more human readable: com.example.www Your query would then be sent as com.example.*

-Sean

Ian Holsman wrote:
the solution that works for me is to store the field in reverse order, and have your application reverse the field in the query.

so the field www.example.com would be stored as
moc.elmpaxe.www

so now I can do a search for *.example.com in my application.

Regards
Ian
(hat tip to erik for the idea)

Michael Kimsal wrote:
Vote for that issue and perhaps it'll gain some more traction.  A former
colleague of mine was the one who contributed the patch in SOLR 218 and it
would be nice to have that configuration option 'standard' (if off by
default) in the next SOLR release.