Can you recommend one? I am not familar with how to profile under Java.

Yonik Seeley schrieb:
Can you try a profiler to see where the memory is being used?
-Yonik

On Nov 20, 2007 11:16 AM, Brian Carmalt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello all,

I started looking into the scalability of solr, and have started getting
weird  results.
I am getting the following error:

Exception in thread "btpool0-3" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: unable to
create new native thread
        at java.lang.Thread.start0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Thread.start(Thread.java:574)
        at
org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool.newThread(BoundedThreadPool.java:377)
        at
org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool.dispatch(BoundedThreadPool.java:94)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector$Connection.dispatch(SocketConnector.java:187)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector.accept(SocketConnector.java:101)
        at
org.mortbay.jetty.AbstractConnector$Acceptor.run(AbstractConnector.java:516)
        at
org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)

This only occurs when I send docs to the server in batches of around 10
as separate processes.
If I send the serially, the heap grows up to 1200M and with no errors.

When I observe the VM during it's operation, It doesn't seem to run out
of memory.  The VM starts
with 1024M and can allocate up to 1800M. I start getting the error
listed above when the memory
usage is right around 1 G. I have been using the Jconsole program on
windows to observe the
jetty server by using the com.sun.management.jmxremote* functions on the
server side. The number of threads
is always around 30, and jetty can create up 250, so I don't think
that's the problem. I can't really image that
the monitoring process is using the other 800M of the allowable heap
memory, but it could be.
But the problem occurs without monitoring, even when the VM heap is set
to 1500M.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this error is occurring?

Thanks,
Brian