From: Nuno Leitao [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:51 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: SOLR X FAST

FAST uses two pipelines - an ingestion pipeline (for document feeding)
and a query pipeline which are fully programmable (i.e., you can
customize it fully). At ingestion time you typically prepare documents
for indexing (tokenize, character normalize, lemmatize, clean up text,
perform entity extraction for facets, perform static boosting for
certain documents, etc.), while at query time you can expand synonyms,
and do other general query side tasks (not unlike Solr).

Horizontal scalability means the ability to cluster your search engine
across a large number of servers, so you can scale up on the number of
documents, queries, crawls, etc.

There are FAST deployments out there which run on dozens, in some cases
hundreds of nodes serving multiple terabyte size indexes and achieving
hundreds of queries per seconds.

Yet again, if your requirements are relatively simple then Lucene might
do the job just fine.

Hope this helps.

--Nuno.