> But however one has first to shutdown the Solr server before copying the
index folder?

If you want to copy the hard files from the data/index directory, yes, you'll
probably want to shut down the server first. You may be able to get away with
leaving the server up but stopping any index/commit operations, but I could be
wrong.

> It notes a script "abc", but I cannot find it in my Solr distribution
(nightly build)?

All of the collection distribution scripts can be found in src/scripts in the
nightly build if they aren't in the bin directory of the example solr
directory.

> Run those scripts on Windows XP?

No, unfortunately the Collection Distribution scripts won't work in Windows
because they use Unix filesystem trickery to operate.