numTerms counts the unique terms (field:value pair) in the index. The source is:

        TermEnum te = reader.terms();
        int numTerms = 0;
        while (te.next()) {
          numTerms++;
        }
        indexInfo.add("numTerms", numTerms );

"distinct" is a similar calculation, but for each field.

ryan

Robert Young wrote:
Hi,

In the response for the LuceRequestHandler what do the different
fields mean? Some of them are obvious but some are less so. Is
numTerms the total number of terms or the total number of unique terms
(ie the dictionary), if it is the former how can I find the size of
the dictionary across all fields? I'm assuming that distinct in the
specific field sections is the number of unique terms in that field,
is this correct?

Thanks
Rob