Ryan McKinley wrote:

We are considering Solr 1.2 to index and search a terabyte-scale dataset of OCR. Initially our requirements are simple: basic tokenizing, score sorting only, no faceting. The schema is simple too. A document consists of a numeric id, stored and indexed and a large text field, indexed not stored, containing the OCR typically ~1.4Mb. Some limited faceting or additional metadata fields may be added later.

I have not done anything on this scale...  but with:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-303 it will be possible to split a large index into many smaller indices and return the union of all results. This may or may not be necessary depending on what the data actually looks like (if you text just uses 100 words, your index may not be that big)

How many documents are you talking about?

Currently 1M docs @ ~1.4M/doc. Scaling to 7M docs. This is OCR so we are talking perhaps 50K words total to index so as you point out the index might not be too big. It's the *data* that is big not the *index*, right?. So I don't think SOLR-303 (distributed search) is required here.

Obviously as the number of documents increase the index size must increase to some degree -- I think linearly? But what index size will result for 7M documents over 50K words where we're talking just 2 fields per doc: 1 id field and one OCR field of ~1.4M? Ballpark?

Regarding single word queries, do you think, say, 0.5 sec/query to return 7M score-ranked IDs is possible/reasonable in this scenario?

Should we expect Solr indexing time to slow significantly as we scale up? What kind of query performance could we expect? Is it totally naive even to consider Solr at this kind of scale?

You may want to check out the lucene benchmark stuff
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/benchmarks.html

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_2_0/api/org/apache/lucene/benchmark/byTask/package-summary.html

ryan