I wanted to try to do the daily update with XML updates (was mentioned recently as the recommended way) but got an "OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" after 319000 records. I am sending one document at a time through the http update interface, so every request should be short enough to not run out of memory. Do I have to commit after every few thousand records to avoid the error? My understanding was that I have to do a commit only at the very end. Or are there other things I could try? How can I increase the heap size? I use the included jetty and start solr with "java -jar start.jar".
After I ran into the error a commit wasn't possible either.

What is the best way to avoid this sort of problems?

Thanks
-Michael