From: Ryan McKinley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 6:13 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: range vs. filter queries

>> Would this be better as four individual filters?
>
> Only if there were likely to occur again in combination with different
> constraints.
> My guess would be no.

this is because the filter could not be cached?

Since i know it should not cached, is there any way to make sure it does not
purge useful stuff from the cache?

> Perhaps you want 2 fields (lat and long) instead of 4?

2 is fine if I was dealing with points, but this is a region, so i need to
deal with a whole region (N,S,E,and W).

> One issue here is range queries that include many terms are currently
slow.
> That's something we need to address sometime (there has been some work
> on this in Lucene, but nothing yet committed AFAIK).

do range queries operate on the whole index, or can they be limited
first?  That is, if i can throw out half the docs with a simple
TermQuery, does the range still have to go through everything?

thanks
ryan