Thanks Yonik,

It works fine. But sort is *case sensitive. *
And also,
If my String contains some white space(or - or any other special char) then
failed to sort, with following error.

INFO: /select/
version=2.2&rows=20&fl=rcid,status,categoryid,cmprice_value,cmprice_model,cmprice_noofdays,cmprice_nooftimes,cmprice_freqocc,cmprice_startdate,cmprice_enddate,title,devname,category,cmprice,shortdesc,ctype,score&start=0&q=%2Bstatus:published+%2Bplanid:1;title+asc
0 4
Feb 15, 2008 1:40:47 PM org.apache.solr.core.SolrException log
SEVERE: java.lang.RuntimeException: there are more terms than documents in
field "title", but it's impossible to sort on tokenized fields

I have used title as follows
<copyField source="title" dest="title_exact"/>
<field name="title_exact" type="string" indexed="true" stored="true"/>

So how can I make sure that sort is case in-sensitive, works for special
chars and numeric fields?

Sorry again, I am new to Solr. please provide your valid input.

Thanks in advance
-kmu