On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:46 PM, Evgeniy Strokin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is I found in docs:
>
>  Omitting norms is useful for saving memory on Fields that do not affect
> scoring, such as those used for calculating facets.
>
>  I don't really understand the statement, but does it mean I cannot use those
> fields as facet fields, because this is exactly why I need those 100 fields.

It just means that the norm has been omitted (which is 1 byte per doc
in the complete index).  The norm is just used for length
normalization and index-time boosting.  You can still search and facet
a field that has norms omitted.  Norms are only recommended for better
relevance for big text fields.

-Yonik