Thanks Yonik.? Now that I understand it ... i'm not worried about it.? :)

-JM

-----Original Message-----
From: Yonik Seeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:19 am
Subject: Re: what's up with: java -Ddata=args -jar post.jar "<optimize/>"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:55 AM, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Yep, I'm on Windows ... so if it can't delete the old files, shouldn't a
restart of Solr do the trick?? i.e. the files are no longer locked by Windows
... so they can now be deleted when Solr exits ... I tried it and didn't see
any
change.

>  Who is keeping those files around / locked ... Solr or Lucene?? and what is
going on with the second call to "optimize" that's able to really delete those
old files where the first "optimize" couldn't?

The IndexWriter cleans up old unreferenced files periodically... so as
you continue to add to the index, those files will be removed (maybe
on a segment merge, definitely on another commit).
As I said... don't worry about it, they will get cleaned up sooner or
later (unless you are never going to change the index again after you
build it).

-Yonik