Quoting Daniel Papasian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Quoting Jeryl Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

2. Make the "schema.xml" configurable at runtime, not really sure the
best way to address this, because changing the schema would require
"re-indexing" the documents.

Isn't the best way to address this just to leave it to the persons that
integrate solr into their system? I mean, if a change in the schema only
effects 1% of all documents, then it's a bad idea to reindex them all
(at least if the dataset is big).

Or if you're adding a new field to the schema (perhaps the most common
need for editing schema.xml), you don't need to reindex any documents at
all, right?  Unless I'm missing something?

Well, it all depends on if that "field" (not solar/lucene field) exists on the already indexed material, but that particular field was never indexed. Lets say that we have a bunch of articles, that has a field "author" that someone decided that it doesn't need to be in the index. But then later he changes his mind, and add the author field to the schema. In this case all articles that has a populated author field should now be reindexed.

I suppose if you add a new dynamic field specification that conflicts
with existing fields, reindexing is probably a good idea, but if you're
doing that... well, I probably don't want to know.

I must say that I'm abit confused by these dynamic fields. Can someone tell me if there is any reasonable use of dynamic fields without having the "variable type" (for example i for int/sint) in the name?

/Jimi