In this case, I recommend using the approach that this tutorial uses:

http://www.cominvent.com/2012/01/25/super-flexible-autocomplete-with-solr/

Basically the idea is you index the data a few different ways and then use
edismax to query them all with different boosts. You'd use the stored
version of you field for display, so your accented characters would not get
stripped.

Michael Della Bitta

Applications Developer

o: +1 646 532 3062