Alejandro,

You can use a sub-entity with a cache using DIH.  This will solve the
"n+1-select" problem and make it run quickly.  Unfortunately, the only built-in
cache implementation is in-memory so it doesn't scale.  There is a fast,
disk-backed cache using bdb-je, which I use in production.  See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2613 .  You will need to build this
youself and include it on the classpath, and obtain a copy of bdb-je from
Oracle.  While bdb-je is open source, its license is incompatible with ASL so
this will never officially be part of Solr.

Once you have a disk-backed cache, you can specify it on the child entity like
this:
<entity name="parent" query="select id, ... from parent table">
        <entity
                name="child"
                query="select foreignKey, ... from child_table"
                cacheKey="foreignKey"
                cacheLookup="parent.id"
                processor="SqlEntityProcessor"
                transformer="..."
                cacheImpl="BerkleyBackedCache"
        />
</entity>

If you don't want to go down this path, you can achieve this all with one
query, if you include and ORDER BY to sort by whatever field is used as Solr's
uniqueKey, and add a dummy row at the end with a UNION:

SELECT p.uniqueKey, ..., 'A' as lastInd from PRODUCTS p
INNER JOIN DESCRIPTIONS d ON p.uniqueKey = d.productKey
UNION SELECT 0 as uniqueKey, ... , 'B' as lastInd from dual
ORDER BY uniqueKey, lastInd

Then your transformer would need to keep the "lastUniqueKey" in an instance
variable and keep a running map of everything its seen for that key.  When the
key changes, or if on the last row, send that map as the document.  Otherwise,
the transformer returns null.  This will collect data from each row seen onto
one document.

Keep in mind also, that in a lot of cases like this, it might just be easiest
to write a program that uses solrj to send your documents rather than trying to
make DIH's features fit your use-case.

James Dyer
Ingram Content Group
(615) 213-4311