Hi Nitin,

To answer your question first, yes, you can disable the transaction log by
commenting/removing the  <updateLog> part of the solrconfig.xml.

At the same time, I'd highly recommend not disabling transaction logs. They
are needed for NRT, peer sync, high availability/disaster recovery parts of
SolrCloud i.e. a lot of what makes SolrCloud depends on these logs. When
you say you want a robust restart, I think that is what you're getting
right now. If you mean to make the entire process faster, read the post
below and you should be in a much better position.

Here's a writeup by Erik Erickson on soft/hard commits and transaction logs
in Solr that would help you understand this better.
http://searchhub.org/2013/08/23/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

--

Anshum Gupta
http://www.anshumgupta.net