On Tue, 2014-08-12 at 11:50 +0200, Ramprasad Padmanabhan wrote:
> Are there documented benchmarks with number of cores
> As of now I just have a test bed.
>

> We have 150 million records ( will go up to 1000 M )  , distributed in 400
> cores.
> A single machine 16GB RAM + 16 cores  search  is working "fine"

About 6M records for a single machine. That is not a lot. What is a
typical query rate for a core?

I would guess that the CPU is idle most of the time and that you could
serve quite a lot more cores from a single machine by increasing RAM or
using SSDs (if you are not doing so already). How large is a typical
core in GB?

> But I still am not sure will this work fine in production

16 cores is not many for a single machine and since you can direct any
search to a single core, you can scale up forever. What is it you are
worried about?

> Obviously I can always add more nodes to solr, but I need to justify how
> much I need.

Are you worried about cost?

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark