What are your autowarm settings? You should be able to alleviate this by
configuring these in solrconfig.xml
1> your cache autowarm settings, particularly filterCache and
documentResultCache.
2> your newSearcher settings.

The point of all the autowarming is that these queries are executed after a
commit
(or replication in your situation) but _before_  the new searcher serves
queries.
So here's the sequence
1> a replication (or commit) happens
2> a new searcher is opened and autowarming occurs (cache autowarm and
executing any newSearcher queries defined)
3> while <2> is going on, incoming queries are served by the old seacher.
4> when <2> is completed, incoming queries are served by the new searcher
5> the old searcher fulfills its last query and closes itself.

Don't be confused by firstSearcher and newSearcher. firstSearcher is fired
when the entire server is started (and there are no cache entries to
autowarm). newSearcher queries are fired whenever a commit (or replication)
happen.

HOWEVER.
at a 10 second refresh interval, you have the chance of <2> taking more
than 10 seconds. you'll see warnings about "too many on deck searchers" if
this is the case. For a M/R setup, 10 seconds is _very_ aggressive.
Seriously consider SolrCloud in this case if your latency requirements are
truly that low.

Having your master serve queries is also suspect. It's _busy_ indexing and
you're asking it to add query load too. May not really matter a lot depends
on the indexing rate...

Best,
Erick