Sorry I didn't give enough information so I'm adding to it, the SolrJ client is on our webapp and the documents are getting indexed properly into Solr, the only problem we are seeing is that with SolrJ 4.10 once Solr server response comes back it seems like SolrJ client doesn't know what to with such response and reports the exception I mentioned, I then downgraded the SolrJ client to 4.9 and the exception is now gone, I'm using the following relevant libraries:

Java 7u67 64 bits at both webapp client side side and Jetty's
HTTP client/mine 4.3.5
HTTP core 4.3.2

Here is a list of my Solr war modified lib folder, I usually don't stay with the standard jars because I believe most of them are out of date if you are running a JDK 7u55+:

   antlr-runtime-3.5.jar
   asm-4.2.jar
   asm-commons-4.2.jar
   commons-cli-1.2.jar