I keep asking people this eternal question: What training or doc are you reading that is using this term "exact match"? Clearly the term is being used by a lot of people in a lot of ambiguous ways, when "exact" should be... "exact".

I think we need to start using the term "exact match" ONLY for string field queries, and that don't use wildcard, fuzzy, or range queries. And maybe also keyword tokenizer text fields that don't have any filters, which might as well be string fields.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message----- From: FiMka
Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2014 9:34 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr: Tricky exact match, unwanted search results

*Erick*, thank you for help!
For exact match I still want:
to use stemming (e.g. for "sleep" I want the word forms "slept", "sleeping",
"sleeps" also to be used in searching)
to disregard case sensitivity
to disregard prepositions, conjunctions and other function words
to match only docs having all of the query words and in the given order
(except function words)
to match only docs if there are no other words in the doc field besides the
words in the query
to use synonyms (e.g. "GB" == "gigabyte", "Television" == "TV")

Erick Erickson wrote
The easiest way to make your examples work wouldbe to use a copyField to
an "exact match" field thatuses the KeywordTokenizer

The KeywordTokenizer treats the entire field as a single token, regardless
of its content. So this does not fit to my requirements.

Erick Erickson wrote
You'll have to be a little careful to escape spaces for muti-term bits,
like exact_field:pussy\ cat.

Hmm... I don't care about quoting right now at all. But should I?
Erick Erickson wrote
As far as your question about "if" and "in", what you're probably getting
here is stopword removal, but that's a guess.

I have the following document:After I disabled solr.StopFilterFactory for
analyzer type="query" Solr stopped returning this document for the query:
http://localhost:8983/solr/lexikos/select?q=phraseExact%3A%22on+a+case-by-case%22.Can
I somehow implement the desired "exact match" behavior?