I ran into this problem as well when upgrading to Solr 4.8.1...

We had a somewhat large binary field that was "indexex=false stored=true",
but because of the copyField copying "*" to "text" it would hit the immense
term issue.

In our case we didn't need this field to be indexed (parts of it were
already indexed in other fields) so we worked around it by breaking out
individual copyField directives for only the fields we needed.