I checked and these 'insanity' cached keys correspond to fields we use for
both grouping and faceting. The same behavior is documented here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4866, although I have single
shards for every replica which the jira says is a setup which should not
generate these issues.

What I don't get is why the cluster was running fine with solr 4.4,
although double checking I was using LUCENE_40 as the match version. If I
use this match version in my current running 4.10 cluster will it make a
difference, or will I experience more issues than if I just roll back to
4.4 with LUCENE_40 match version? The problem in the end is that the
fieldcache grows unlimitedly. I'm thinking its because of the insanity
entries but I'm not really sure. It seem like a really big problem to leave
unattended or is the use case for faceting and grouping on the same field
not that common?

--
Luis Carlos Guerrero
about.me/luis.guerrero